This post has affiliate links, which means I may make a small commission if you follow the link and make a purchase. This is always at no additional cost to you. I’m so grateful for your support. Learn more here.
What are you up to? I know several of you are at a conference, and some of you are riding out the hurricane, and others are settling into the routine of the school year starting.
Well I am doing none of the above. The hurricane kept me from attending the conference, keeping me from traveling but not hitting my city. It also got my kids out of school for the entire week, so routine is not back yet. However, I have a strange sense of peace and gratitude about the entire week, tainted only by my concern for friends currently riding out this crazy hurricane.
I am happier about quitting my job and being on this biz-entrepreneur journey with you, than I am sad about missing the conference – disappointing as that is, or worried about the hurricane when it was forecast earlier this week to get much closer to where I am.
So I guess my point is that perspective is huge, because your thoughts determine your feelings, and obstacles become what you make of them.
I hope you are all safe, productive, happy, or all of the above.
Here is a list of some of what I’ve been up to, and things I recommend for you to try this week:
- Find Consistency – I have to celebrate that this is Issue 10 of this newsletter, which means I have done something consistently for 10 weeks in a row. After re-branding twice in the past year and taking a few months off multiple times, that feels like a huge win.
- Use Your Name – If you have a lot of ideas, and you’re trying to narrow down and pick the first thing to focus on, or you’re trying to pick a biz or domain name (maybe none of you are, but I know many of us are tempted to rebrand from time to time) – I just have to say that it’s ok to just use your name. In my experience everything but the domain is easy to change. Keep tweaking your tagline and your branding elements until they fit you. But so much technical and historical data hangs on the domain it’s best to commit to one. So for me, I’ve decided the one thing I know is that I am me, and I like to switch up what I’m doing. So with a bit of technical difficulty, including my site not working without www for a few days, energyformompreneurs.com is no more, and aliciaeichmann.com is now live and will be more site for the foreseeable future.
- Be Happy – I read The Big Leap, by Gay Hendricks, recently. One of my biggest takeaways was that it’s ok to be happy, and that it’s normal to need to fight our natural tendencies to do so. He talks about how we have an upper limit that is our own natural roof to our happiness and that there are ways we can intentionally raise it and thus increase our own ability to happier, and happier more of the time. The simplest action to take is to simply consciously practice being happier more often, looking for reasons, and then giving yourself permission. If this intrigues you, read the book, it’s awesome. And then I’d love to hear what you thought about his Einstein time theory.
- Niche Down – You might here me say this at least once a month, and you might hear everyone else say it too, like I did. But it’s just true. If you want help on this shoot me email. But let me just say it took me a year and a half to narrow down my focus from helping moms have energy, to helping mompreneurs have energy, to helping mompreneurs with marketing, to helping online biz owners use analytics and their traffic data to identify the right actions to take in their business. And I’m doing adwords tutoring and consulting on the side to help bring in money. So just keep. narrowing. down. You won’t regret it. For an amazing resource on this, check out the book Stand Out, by Dorie Clark. Another good one is Known, by Mark Schaefer.
- Tutoring – If you’re looking for a way to make some money right now, consider picking a topic you enjoy and putting out the word that you can tutor those who want to learn it. Right now I’m doing adwords tutoring and consulting on the side to help bring in money.
- Try Upwork – I’m also going to try getting jobs from upwork.com, in the spirit of trying things and having options while I’m building my core business. I’ll let you know how it goes!
- Next on my Reading List – Ego is the Enemy, and The Obstacle is the Way, both by Ryan Holiday
- Find Unique ways to Provide Value – I’ve created a set of customized analytics dashboards as my freebie to get on this list. I’ll be sending the links to you sometime next week. With a couple of clicks you’ll be able to add these templates to your google analytics account. It will populate them with your data, and you’ll be able to see more quickly at a glance, and in plain English, strategic info by category for your business. And then I’ll be following up with tips about how often to look at them and how to use them to make decisions for your business. Cool, right? I hope you love it, watch for them next week.
Quote of the week
“I don’t know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve.”
– Albert Schweitzer
Latest posts by Alicia Eichmann (see all)
- Finding time to get in the zone - April 18, 2019
- Taking time to savor success, and express gratitude - April 17, 2019
- The Unique American Temperament - April 16, 2019